I don’t know about any of you, but I spend a lot of time in the bathroom. Weird way to begin a blog post, right? But stay with me. It’s where I spend an hour each day – sometimes two getting ready every morning. As an aside, I have the world’s tiniest bladder so I’m in there every five minutes just for that, TMI, but sadly true.
Some of this might be true for you as well. Do you spend your mornings in front of the bathroom mirror getting yourself pretty for the day? Who could resist those hot showers when waking up is difficult and the hot water is your only solace?
On Friday, I decided I would go out with a small budget in hand and redecorate my apartment bathroom. I figure, if I spend so much time in there, shouldn’t I enjoy my surroundings? The last time I attempted to decorate the bathroom, it didn’t turn out so great, so I really planned things out this time around. So for this post, I thought I’d share the steps I took to make the room turn out just how I want it.
- Decide on a vibe/theme – This was the most important step for me in the process. I want to enjoy the room I spend so much time in. Most of what I do in the bathroom is get ready for the day. I have early mornings most of the time, so I want to feel relaxed in this space, like it’s a spa or something.
- Decide on a color scheme – Deciding on a couple of different colors helps me focus more when shopping for items. Also, once I’ve decided a theme or mood for the room, choosing colors becomes easier for me. I chose blue, green, grey and earthy elements like wood.
- Assess what you have that you can still make use of – As much as I love shopping for home decor, I would prefer to save as much money as I can. Before I go out and buy anything, I look at what things I’d like to keep for the room, whether that means keeping it there for its original purpose, or repurposing it entirely. Ask yourself “What works in this room? What is causing clutter? What do I use often and what could go into cupboard storage?”
- Make a visual plan for the room – Once you have cleared out the space, try to envision what you want in the room, and where and for what purpose. Doing this helps me put together a shopping list for what I don’t already have that I’d like to incorporate.
- Clean the room, and then get to decorating! – A bathroom can never be too clean in my eyes, I wiped everything down, dusted and disinfected before putting the elements together. It’s just a personal thing, but I prefer a clean room before it’s decorated or rearranged.
These are the steps I took to making my bathroom a calm and relaxing oasis, and I couldn’t be happier with the results! If you are stuck trying to figure out how to decorate a room, hopefully this process helps you along the way.
Thanks for reading!