Hey all! Do you know what’s crazy? Christmas is in fourteen days….two weeks! How is it almost Christmas time when we literally just celebrated Thanksgiving??
I try my best to enjoy the holiday season every year, really take in the joy and wonder of it all. But sometimes it just goes so quickly and it’s hard to keep up with the excitement. One of my biggest challenges this holiday season has been trying to keep my house festive while working around a tight budget that’s already being stretched by shopping for gifts. It is not easy, but I’ve been able to find some awesome DIY ideas that I want to share with you guys.
Here are five inexpensive and easy Christmas decorations to try!
1. Jar of Ornaments – My husband and I have many Christmas tree ornaments that weren’t able to fit on our tree this year, so I decided to put some of them in a uniquely shaped jar and set them out as decoration. Simple, easy, and they stand out.
2. DIY Ornaments – This project is a lot of fun, and makes for a sweet date night with a significant other or a group of close friends! Kris and I went to Michaels for a set of plain glass ornaments and decorated them with things like pipe cleaners and acrylic paint. You can even start a tradition of adding a new one to your tree each year! The photos I tried taking of my ornaments are pretty terrible, so I am declining to share them. No professional camera unfortunately. However you can find plenty of other ideas online 🙂
3. Greenery – This isn’t necessarily a Christmas decoration, but it brings some color into your home and can look festive. You can buy a bundle of greenery at the store and place them in a vase as a centerpiece somewhere. I bought these for around $2.00 at Safeway, and I love how they look on my dining table. They command your attention!
4. Pinecones in a Jar – I had some scented pinecones out in a woven basket shaped like a pumpkin during the Fall months. I wasn’t ready to put them away just yet, so I grabbed a mason jar and put them inside as decoration. To be honest, I feel silly for calling this decoration. It’s pinecones in a jar (LOL)…But sometimes I enjoy doing things differently, I personally find this to be simple and adorable. You can gather them outside if you find any, and if you wanted to, you could add some fake snow to the pinecones to make it look more wintery and festive. You can find out how to do this here.
5. Christmas Movie Quote – A fun fact about me: Not only do I speak English, but I am also quite fluent in movie quotes. Anyone who knows me well can attest to this. I take whatever opportunity I see available to reference or quote a movie, so what better way for me to make my home festive than adding a movie quote to my wall somewhere?? I painted this “Son of a nutcracker” sign in reference to Elf. It’s one of my favorite Christmas movies ♥ You could purchase a wood piece for a decent price at a craft store and paint it like I did, or even write in a pretty font on paper, and place it in a frame and hang it up for everyone to see!
I hope these ideas are helpful to all you wonderful readers! There is something special about creating your own decorations for the holiday months, they can become precious memories, and it gives you a chance to spend time with loved ones.
Let me know in the comments what you think, and please let me know about any other decoration ideas you might have. I love trying new things 🙂 Thank you so much for reading!